Saturday, February 28, 2009

Family council

I love my family and miss them very much. Each first sunday of the month my family gets together and has an activity called family council. Now it's not as bad as your thinking. It is actually a lot of fun. We get together usually taking turns at eachother's houses unless they are to small and then we go to a family members house that will fit everyone. There is now over one hundred people in my family which consists of my Dad and stepmom my 12 brothers and sisters and their husbands and wives and the 70+ grandkids and five great grandkids and some of my step brothers and sisters and their children. Now two of us live out of state and one lives several hours away but most everyone tries to be there. I definately took this activity for granted. It became a time to catch up with my siblings and see my nieces and nephews. We have a short lesson, sing songs, and each family takes turns telling about events they had or future happenings in their lives. With so much family it is virtually impossible to be at every birthday, sports event, play or activity that everyone has. It is definately a good way to keep in touch with those I love most.
One of the traditions we started way back when, and one we all seem to dread on the outside (but I think we all secretly love doing on the inside) is that my Dad insists on is singing "Happy Bitrthday" to each person that has a birthday that month. We even go so far to call and sing to those who are not there and leave them a message of a happy birthday song. It is my Dad's way to wish those he doesn't get to see on their birthday to have a good day. We sometimes sing the song 10-15 times or maybe more. It gets a little obnoxious but each grandchild (at least the younger ones) love it when their turn comes to be wished a happy birthday. We then announce upcoming family get togethers and have dessert, visit, and go home.

Tomorrow will only be my 2nd family council that we are missing but my kids keep reminding me of their cousins that they are missing seeing and that they are very sad. We wish we could be there. I try not to think about all of the family activities that we will now miss since we are out of state. Activities like the zoo day, easter egg hunt, park days, sisters lunches just to name a few. I will especially miss the missionary farewells coming up. My oldest nephew will be leaving soon and there will be two more to follow.

I did not realize how much I would miss being there. I am trying to remember that we are supposed to be here in Maryland and be grateful for the many ways we can communicate with eachother. I hope that everyone still in AZ will take advantage of the many family get togethers we have and go and enjoy them for me.
This is just one of the many activities we have done. This is my Dad's surprise 70th birthday party. He had 70 grandkids at the time. Amazing huh! They all wore candle hats and sang happy birthday to him.


We even started doing a similar activity with the Young side of the family which I also miss. It was definately on a lot smaller scale but I sure do miss the dining out,the family dinners and the visiting together with my Mother and Father in-law. I too miss them very much.

2 comments:

lizlaughs said...

Becca, that makes me want to cry. We have missed you so much too. Jenni and I were just saying that it is just not the same without you and your family here.

I love you and miss you! - Liz

Karen said...

Becca, I hope you guys are getting nice and settled in Maryland, and everything is going really well for you and your family. I can't believe how much your kids have grown since I saw them last.