Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Adventures Part 2- New York

It's here, it's finally here!! After three attempts I finally got my computer to cooperate and I get to tell you all about our trip to Upstate New York. We got invited to come and see the Hill Cummorah Pageant and help out my sisters kids come home early. The kids and I(Ryan had to stay home and work) left on a very early Friday morning and started out on our 8 hour drive after a 6 hour lay over somewhere in Pennsylvania to get the master cylinder fixed on the suburban we were on our way (again). We got to spend a lot of time with my sister's family, see the pageant two nights in a row and get to see lots of church history sites.


One of my all time favorite sites is the Sacred Grove. I just love it there. It is so peaceful and serene.

View of the field next to the Sacred Grove

While we were walking on the trail in the Sacred Grove we would occasionally see a bench or other landmark and of course the kids had to stop at each one we saw and then pose for pictures so here are some of those

Bailey

Peyton

Sarah

Nathan

Peyton and I



Crossing the creek from the Joseph Smith Home to the Sacred Grove

Spencer even stopped in the middle of the trail
Peyton outside of the visitors center on the Sacred Grove/Joseph Smith Home site. We had to do a lot of waiting for the tours and it was tricky trying to get her to not pick all of the flowers

Joseph Smith Family Log Home


In the second story room of the Joseph Smith Home where Moroni appeared

Sarah got to be the Sister Missionaries companion during the tour of the Grandin Print Shop


Palmyra Temple

The Peter Whitmer Home

We got to spend time with my sister and her family before the pageant started. Their costumes were amazing


Suzette and Jaque

Hannah and Spencer
Bryce
Joy

Caleb and Spencer

Courtney

Jake and his friend

Craig and Mara(Craigs beard looked so real I almost didn't recognize him)

Here is the stage at the top of the hill

here is the stage at the bottom of the hill

And here is the stage during the opening number

Here we are in front of the Hill Cummorah Monument

We spent our last day of vacation at Suzette's while Alexis got ready to fly back to Utah. We admired their huge garden

I know this picture does not do this zucchini justice but it was more than a foot long.

We caught little frogs
Swung on their big tree swing



5 comments:

lizlaughs said...

That looks like so much fun! I loved visiting all of those places when we went there. Maybe someday we will go to the pageant. I'm so glad you were able to see it. I can't believe how big your kids and Suzette's kids are getting. I can hardly recognize some of Suzette's.

Bill and Dee Dee said...

From the pictures it was almost like being their. My favorite picture is the Sacred Grove. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful trip. love, grandma

Durfee Family said...

Those were great pictures! What fun to see Suzette and your kid's! Everyone is growing up so fast!

Karen said...

what awesome experiences you guys are having! I would love to go back and look at all the sites. Your kids are growing up so fast!

Mr. Twister said...

Wow, love all the pictures, the church is such a great tool for our kids. I would love to goto New York. Enjoy all your wonderful experiences.

Kevin